Spinach Artichoke Tarts
These Spinach Artichoke Tarts are a cheesy and hearty appetizer or snack. They taste just like the classic dip and are great to have on hand!
- 1 (17.3 ounce) box frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 large egg whisked with a slash of water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke heart quarters drained
- 1 (12 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unfold the pastry sheets and slice each sheet into 6 even pieces. Arrange on the prepared baking sheets (six per baking sheet) and then use a sharp pairing knife to cut a border onto each rectangle. Prick the centers with a fork to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg wash and par-bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Set a large skillet over moderate heat. Once hot, drizzle in the oil and add the shallot and garlic. Season lightly with a pinch of salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook until softened. Reserve 12 artichoke quarters and then chop the rest. Add the chopped artichoke to the skillet along with the spinach and cook for a minute or two. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Set a saucepan over medium hight heat with the butter. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Cook for 30 seconds or so, and then slowly whisk in the milk. Season lightly with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and dried basil. Cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses until melted through. Fold in the spinach artichoke mixture until evenly combined.
- Press down the centers of the cooled puff pastry shells. Fill each center with the spinach artichoke mixture and top each with a reserved artichoke quarter. Sprinkle the tops with parmesan and bake until deeply golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
All rights and material belong to owners jonathanmelendez.com