Cinnamon Swirl French Toast Casserole
ICYMI: Cinnamon swirl bread makes the best French toast.
- 6 eggs
- 2 c. milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- kosher salt
- 1 (16-oz.) loaf Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- ½ c. flour
- ⅓ c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Stick cold butter, cut into cubes
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Butter a 9”-x-13” casserole dish and arrange bread slices in an overlapping layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, heavy cream, vanilla, sugar and salt until combined. Pour mixture over bread and press bread down, making sure all pieces are submerged in egg mixture. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and transfer to the refrigerator to sit until ready to bake (up to overnight.)
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, use a pastry cutter or your hands to combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter to make a streusel. Sprinkle streusel over the bread. Transfer dish to oven and bake, covered, until cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.