Pickle Corn Dogs
PICKLE Corn Dogs—too far or not far enough?
- 6 whole dill pickles
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ⅔ c. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Large pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 large egg
- Vegetable oil
- Ketchup, for serving
- Mustard, for serving
- Skewer pickles with a long wooden skewer. Place flour in a medium shallow bowl and coat pickles in flour, tapping off excess.
- Whisk the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and black pepper into the remaining flour.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and egg, then pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into a tall glass and let sit while oil heats.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add enough oil to come halfway up the sides and heat to 375°. Dip pickles into batter and coat evenly. Fry, in two batches, until golden, 5 minutes, turning as necessary. Use tongs to remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining pickles and batter.
- Serve with mustard and ketchup