Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
This Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake looks outrageously good!
- Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 2¾cups plain flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups fresh coffee
- Strawberry Icing
- 10 egg whites
- 500g sugar
- 680g unsalted butter, room temperature
- ? ? cup strawberry puree
- 4oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 8 strawberries
- 150g dark chocolate, melted
- 150g white chocolate, meltedt
- Make the cake. Preheat oven to 160ºC and grease 3- 8” pans with butter parchment and cocoa powder.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl until combined. In a separate large jug or bowl whisk all the wet ingredients excluding the coffee together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined. Gradually pour in the coffee while mixing carefully to avoid spilling. Divide the mixture into each cake tin leaving 1” below the rim.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let rest for 10 minutes then remove from tins on cooling racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Add the egg whites and sugar to a large bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk the mixture continuously until it reaches 71ºC (160ºF). Then remove and pour into a stand mixer or whisk by hand until mixture cools completely and forms stiff peaks.
- Add the butter a little at a time while still whisking. The mixture might curdle but continue whisking as it will come together again. It should become a very smooth and velvety buttercream.
- Carefully slice any domed tops off the cakes to level them out.
- To layer the cake, place a little buttercream on a cake base and top with one of the cakes top with another layer of buttercream with a ring around the edge. Flatten the centre and top with half of the chopped strawberries. Spread a little more buttercream over top and spread flat. Top with another layer of cake and repeat.
- Cover the final layer of cake and the entire cake with a layer of icing and smooth evenly. Set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, add corn syrup to the cream. Microwave for 1 minute or until steaming hot. Pour over chopped chocolate. Let sit for 30 seconds then start to mix from the middle out.
- Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a piping bag and cut a small hole in the tip.
- Pipe drips of chocolate along the edge of the chilled cake and then fill in the centre with the ganache.
- Melt the white and dark chocolate of the strawberries, pour the white and dark alternating in a small cup. Swirl with a toothpick and then dip each strawberry and place on a lined tray to chill in the fridge until set.
- Add swirls of frosting on the top and top each with a strawberry.
- Slice and enjoy!