Banana Pudding Stuffed French Toast
This is a "this week sucked" treat yoself kind of breakfast. Don't think about the calories. Just go for it — you deserve it.
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 (3-oz.) box vanilla pudding mix
- 2 c. cold milk
- ½ c. Cool Whip
- FOR THE FRENCH TOAST
- 6 thick slices brioche or challah bread, preferably day old
- 1 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Butter, for frying
- Cool Whip, for garnish
- Banana slices, for garnish
- Maple syrup, for drizzling
- Make filling: In a large bowl, add pudding mix and pour over milk; whisk for two minutes, until mixture thickens. Let set for another 3 minutes to thicken more, then fold in Cool Whip. Transfer mixture to a piping bag and cut end so that the tip is a very small hole.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Stuff the bread: Using a paring knife (serrated if you’ve got one!), cut a slit into one side of the slice to create a pocket. Fill with banana pudding. Dunk both sides of bread into egg mixture and transfer to a plate while you heat your skillet.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt about 1 tablespoon butter. Working in batches, add as many bread slices that will fit and cook until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate and repeat with remaining slices, adding more butter to skillet if needed.
- Dollop more Cool Whip onto each serving and garnish with banana slices. Serve warm with maple syrup for drizzling.