Authentic Chicken Parmesan
Crispy baked chicken with hearty tomato sauce, melted cheese, and herbs. A famous family recipe that is the BEST chicken parmesan I've had - A must-try recipe that makes plenty of leftovers!
- FOR THE CHICKEN
- 3 chicken breasts or cutlets, sliced in half into 6 cuts (see notes for difference)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (use gf flour blend if needed)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1½ cups bread crumbs (see notes to make homemade bread crumbs)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp (each) salt & pepper
- 2 tsp Italian herb blend (thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 6 slices Mozzarella
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Tenderize chicken: place chicken cutlets/breasts in a ziplock bag, and firmly pound with a rolling pin or smooth side of a meat hammer (chicken thickness should be ½ inch).
- Breadcrumbs: In a shallow dish, mix all of breadcrumb ingredients together.
- Assembly line: Set up a line of shallow bowls/dishes with flour, whisked eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Bread the chicken: First, coat chicken in flour on both sides. Then, transfer to whisked eggs, dip both sides. Last, lay both sides of chicken in bread crumbs. Evenly coat and pack breadcrumbs lightly with your hand.
- Brown the chicken: Heat 3 tablespoons of oil at a time in a cast iron skillet or pan on LOW to MEDIUM heat. Brown chicken for 2 minutes on both sides.
- Layer and bake: arrange browned chicken in a large baking dish or pan. Layer first with mozzarella slices then tomato sauce over top. Bake uncovered in oven for 14 minutes – remove from oven then sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese. Place pan back in oven and broil on HIGH for 1 minute until cheese is melted and browned. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with your favorite pasta!