Easy Cheesy Bean and Rice Enchilada Soup
Loaded with two kinds of beans, filling brown rice, veggies, all in an enchilada-style broth. It’s easy and you can make it on the stovetop or instant pot!
- 1¼ cups yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups homemade enchilada sauce (see notes)
- 1 (15-ounce) can EACH: diced tomatoes, black beans, AND pinto beans (beans should be rinsed and drained)
- ⅓ cup dry brown rice
- 1 ¼ cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon EACH: smoked paprika, garlic powder, AND ground cumin
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne (as desired)
- 1½ cups shredded cheese (such as pepper jack or cheddar cheese!)
- Cilantro + sour cream + lime wedges + tortilla chips, for serving
- PRESSURE COOK: Hit the saute button on the instant pot and saute the onions, poblano pepper, and jalapeno in oil for 5-6 minutes or until the peppers soften and onions are translucent. Add the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, brown rice, corn, and seasonings into the instant pot—cover and cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release. Remove cover and stir to combine. Stir in the cheese. Let stand 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- STOVETOP: Heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, poblano peppers, and jalapeno and saute for 5-6 minutes or until the peppers soften and the onions are translucent. Add all the ingredients except the cheese. Stir and bring the soup to a simmer. When simmering, lower the heat to low and allow the rice to cook all the way through (roughly 25 minutes.) Test for doneness; you might need to let the rice cook for another 5-7 minutes. If the soup becomes too thick at any point, add additional broth to thin it to your liking. Turn the stove off, stir in the cheese so that it melts. Serve warm!
- FINISH (BOTH IP + STOVE): Serve in bowls topped with chopped cilantro and with tortilla chips, sour cream, and lime wedges on the side.
All rights and material belong to owners littlespicejar.com