For the ULTIMATE juicy, flavorful chicken? Bury that baby in salt.
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ large lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) chicken
- ½ large lemon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 7 cups kosher salt
- 10 large egg whites
- In a large pot over high heat, combine garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, halved lemon, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves and water. Bring to boil. Remove the brine from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Once the brine is cooled, submerge the chicken. Refrigerate covered for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry. Place the lemon half, tarragon and thyme into the chicken cavity and truss with kitchen twine. Discard the brine.
- In a large bowl, combine the salt and egg whites. Place one-third of the mixture into an 8 x 10½-inch roasting dish. Nestle the chicken on top of the salt and cover with remaining salt mix.
- Roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the salt is hard and dry.
- Set aside to rest for 15 minutes before cracking off the salt. The skin will be very salty, but the meat underneath will not. Make sure to peel away the skin to reveal the juicy and tender meat underneath.
- Serve with your favorite roasted vegetables.
For the ULTIMATE juicy, flavorful chicken? Bury that baby in salt.Full Recipe: taste.md/2BXcIdV
Julkaissut Tastemade Lauantaina 23. joulukuuta 2017