Stuffed Hash Brown Pockets
Hashbrown pockets are REAL and so good!
- HASH BROWNS
- 4 lb russet potato, washed and peeled (1.8 kg)
- 1 tablespoon salt, plue 1 teaspoon, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (100 g)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- SAUSAGE FILLING
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground sausage (455 g)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- EGG FILLING
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 oz fresh spinach (140 g)
- 6 large eggs
- 8 strips bacon, cooked, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 qt oil, for frying (2.8 L)
- Add the potatoes to a large pot. Cover the potatoes with cold water and season with 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Make the sausage filling: Add the onion to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook until slightly tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sausage. Cook until the sausage is browned, about 4 minutes.
- Season with the paprika, cayenne, pepper, thyme, and salt and cook for another 5 minutes until seasoning is evenly distributed. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Make the egg filling: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then sauté the spinach until fully wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and scramble until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bacon, pepper, and salt and mix to incorporate. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer the potatoes to a colander and run under cold water to cool. Pat dry.
- Using the large holes on a cheese grater, shred the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Add the flour, Parmesan, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Mix together thoroughly.
- Transfer half of the hash brown mixture to a greased 13” x 18” (33 cm x 45 cm) baking sheet and spread evenly with a spatula.
- On the left side of the tray, spoon the egg filling into 4 evenly spaced piles. On the right side of the tray, spoon the sausage filling into 4 evenly spaced piles. Top each pile of egg filling with a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top the piles of filling with the remaining hash brown mixture and use a spatula to carefully press down the hash browns, sealing the filling inside. Use the tip of the spatula to delineate between each pocket of filling.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- In a large pot, heat oil until it reaches 380˚F (195˚C).
- Remove the hash browns from the freezer and use a sharp knife to cut and separate each pocket.
- Fry the hash brown pockets in batches for 5-7 minutes, or until browned on both sides. Drain the pockets on a wire rack set over a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
Making this for brunch tomorrow, who's in? 😍Full Recipe: https://tasty.co/recipe/stuffed-hash-brown-pockets
Julkaissut Tasty Maanantaina 19. marraskuuta 2018