Pizza Mac & Cheese
Warning: Once you go pizza mac, you never go back.
- 16 oz. macaroni or shells
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2½ c. milk
- 1⅓ c. shredded mozzarella
- ½ c. shredded fontina
- ½ c. grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 c. chopped pepperoni, plus 15 whole slices for topping
- ¾ c. pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- Add butter to pot and melt over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and cook until golden, 1 minute more. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Let thicken, 3 minutes. Add 1 cup mozzarella, fontina, and Parmesan and stir until melty, 2 minutes more.
- Add cooked macaroni and stir until completely coated, then stir in chopped pepperoni, ½ cup pizza sauce, dried oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mac to a baking dish and spoon remaining ¼ cup pizza sauce on top. Top with remaining mozzarella and whole pepperoni.
- Bake until cheese is melty and golden and pepperoni crispy, 15 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and Parmesan and serve.