Strawberry Shortcake Banana Bread
Is it breakfast...or dessert? We think both.
- 1 c. butter, ½ cup melted and ½ cup softened, plus more for buttering pan
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour, plus for flouring pan
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. sugar
- ¼ c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 c. sliced strawberries, plus more for serving
- 3 super ripe bananas, mashed
- Freshly whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour a 9-x-5" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar, ½ cup butter, buttermilk, vanilla, egg and egg yolk until smooth. Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until combined, then fold in strawberries and mashed bananas.
- Make crumb topping: Combine remaining ½ cup flour, remaining ¼ cup sugar, remaining ½ cup butter, and a pinch of salt.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish and top with crumb topping. Bake until deeply golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve as a shortcake, stack banana bread with freshly whipped cream and strawberries.