Creamy Zucchini Pasta
Creamy Zucchini Pasta is how we prefer to eat our veggies.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large zucchini (about 1 ¾ pounds), quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅔ c. heavy cream
- 1 c. finely grated Grana Padano PDO cheese, lightly packed, plus more for serving
- 1 lb. spaghetti or linguini
- ⅓ c. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. zest of 1 lemon
- ⅓ c. basil leaves, roughly chopped, lightly packed, plus more leaves for serving
- ⅓ c. parsley leaves, roughly chopped, lightly packed, plus more leaves for serving
- ¼ c. walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil and swirl to coat. Add shallots and garlic, then season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until translucent, 4 minutes. Add zucchini and red pepper flakes, increase heat to medium-high, and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until shallots and garlic are deeply caramelized and zucchini is golden in spots and very soft, 12-14 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and add heavy cream and cheese. Stir to combine and transfer to a blender. With the interior lid removed and a kitchen towel placed over the opening, begin to blend on low, increasing speed until a chunky puree forms. Set aside.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions until just short of al dente, keeping in mind that pasta will continue to cook once zucchini sauce is added. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water, and return pasta to pot, along with lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, parsley, and contents of blender.
- Add ½ cup pasta water to blender. Swirl and stir to remove the last remnants of sauce and add mixture to pot with pasta. Gently fold to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and divide among shallow serving bowls, topped with walnuts, additional cheese, and herbs.