Green Chile Cheeseburger
One editor describes this Green Chile Cheeseburger as "a transcendent experience between two buns that must be tasted to be believed."
- FOR THE BURGERS
- 8 oz. 80% lean ground beef
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heaping tablespoons Hatch green chile, divided
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 burger buns
- FOR SERVING
- Thinly sliced white onion
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Sliced tomato
- Dill pickle chips
- Divide ground beef in half and form into two very loose balls. Season both balls all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat until very hot and smoking, about 3 minutes. Add the first ball to skillet and use a sturdy metal spatula to press down firmly until the patty is about ½" thick and 4½" to 5" across.
- Cook without moving until a golden crust develops on the underside of the burger, about 1½ minutes. Scrape under the crust with a spatula and flip.
- Top with half the green chile, spread in an even layer, then cover with a slice of cheese. Cover skillet for about 30 seconds, or until cheese is melted.
- Transfer burger to a bun and top with desired toppings, then repeat with second burger.