Spumoni Ice Cream Cake
Spumoni Ice Cream Cake is the coolest way to beat the heat.
- 2 pt. pistachio ice cream
- 2 pt. cherry ice cream
- 2 pt. chocolate ice cream
- ⅔ c. shelled roasted salted pistachios, divided
- 12 sugar cones (from a 4-oz package), finely crushed
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- 23 maraschino cherries without stems, divided
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ c. refined coconut oil
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Remove all ice creams from freezer, remove lids and paper covers, and place in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. Roughly chop ⅓ cup of the shelled pistachios.
- Meanwhile, make crust: combine crushed sugar cones with melted butter, sugar, and a pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Press into a 9” springform pan in an even layer.
- Build ice cream layers: scoop both pints of pistachio ice cream into an even layer and smooth with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Tap the pan firmly on a flat surface to release air bubbles, then top with ⅓ cup whole pistachios, pressing them in gently with the palm of your hand.
- Next, add both pints of the cherry ice cream and spread into an even layer. Evenly distribute 15 maraschino cherries over cherry ice cream, pressing in gently.
- Add final pints of chocolate ice cream to pan and spread into an even layer. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the ice cream and freeze until very firm, about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make magic shell topping: in a medium microwave safe bowl or measuring cup, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Let cool completely.
- When ready to serve, run a knife or large offset spatula around the edge of the cake, then slowly release the springform pan and remove. Using an offset spatula, round out the edges of the cake slightly to allow the chocolate sauce to run down the sides.
- Pour magic shell over cake and immediately scatter with chopped pistachios. Let shell harden, about 1 minute. Garnish with 8 dollops of whipped cream, then top each dollop with remaining maraschino cherries.