Pumpkin Bacon Mac & Cheese
You'll be eating this Pumpkin Bacon Mac & Cheese from now until spring.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ c. whole sage leaves, plus 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- ¾ lb. short pasta, such as shells
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 1 (15-oz) can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 c. gruyere cheese, shredded
- In a small skillet, heat oil. Add sage leaves and cook, stirring a few times, until crisp, about 30 seconds. Remove sage to paper-towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot of boiling salted water, boil pasta until al dente, per package instructions.
- Return empty pot to medium heat and melt butter. Add flour and finely chopped sage cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring, until sauce thickens, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cheese a handful at a time, stirring to combine. Season with salt. Add pasta to cheese sauce and stir to coat. Top with crispy sage leaves and serve.