Creamy Cheddar Quinoa with Chicken and Spinach
Try a healthier, stovetop spin on chicken-and-rice.
- 1 c. quinoa
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2" pieces
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 c. shredded cheddar, divided
- 8 oz. baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a medium pot, cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then sear chicken on both sides until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Return pan to medium heat. Add butter and sauté garlic and onions until softened. Add cream and chicken stock; bring to a boil and simmer until slightly reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese and spinach. Fold in quinoa and chicken, then top with remaining cup cheese. Cover pan and simmer until warmed through and cheese is bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.