Mexican Hot Chocolate
We love the addition of cinnamon and cayenne in this Mexican version, meant for true spice-lovers.
- 2½ c. whole milk
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- Marshmallows, for serving
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk to combine milk, cinnamon, and cayenne if using. Heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles begin to appear where the milk meets the pan.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in chocolate, vanilla, and salt until chocolate is melted.
- Divide into mugs and top with marshmallows, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and chopped chocolate before serving.