Maple Chorizo Breakfast Skillet
If you thought maple syrup-drenched bacon was good, wait until you try maple chorizo. The smoky-sweet combo will haunt your dreams.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ lb. potatoes, scrubbed clean and diced into ½" pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz. cured (not fresh) Spanish chorizo, diced
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 4 to 6 large eggs
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Place a grate and large cast-iron skillet over a campfire and preheat 15 minutes. Heat oil in skillet, then add potatoes in an even layer. Season with salt and pepper and cook, undisturbed, until golden and crispy on one side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in peppers, onions, chorizo, and maple syrup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Use a spoon to make wells in mixture. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper. Cover skillet with foil (or a lid) and cook until eggs are done to your liking, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and season with more black pepper before serving.