Mexican Chicken and Rice Bake
If you love Mexican food - then Impress with this delicious Mexican Chicken and Rice.
- 1 cup (180g) of long grain rice
- 480ml (2 cups) of chicken stock
- 300g (10.5oz) canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- small handful of fresh chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts, sliced into cutlets - approx 500g (17.5oz)
- 50g (2oz) of mozzarella, grated (1 HEa)
- 30g (1oz) of cheddar, grated (1 HEa)
- cooking oil spray
- salt and pepper to season
- for the Enchilada Sauce:
- 240g (1 cup) of canned crushed tomatoes (or use passata and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste)
- 180ml (¾ cup) of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (use more of less depending on your spice level)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or honey
- Spray a small saucepan over a medium-high heat with cooking oil and add the onion and garlic, cook for a few minutes to soften. Add the passata, stock, spices, vinegar and maple syrup and stir thoroughly, reduce heat, cover simmer for about 15 mins. Then put it all through a blender and blend until smooth, set aside.
- Rinse the rice until running water until water runs clear and then add the rice to a saucepan with 2 cups of chicken stock
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until all the stock is almost absorbed. Turn off heat, but leave saucepan on hob, covered for approx 10 minutes, this will ensure rice is perfectly cooked.
- Preheat oven to 180c, fan 160c, 350f or gas mark 4
- Season the chicken breast of both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high with some cooking oil and add the chicken breasts, fry each side until lightly browned (they don't need to be cooked through, as you will be finishing them off in the oven). Pour in the blended Enchilada sauce and ensure the chicken is all covered in the sauce.
- Mix the rice with the kidney beans and freshly chopped coriander. and add it to an oven proof dish. Layer the chicken breasts with the sauce on top and then top with the cheddar and mozzarella.
- Cover the dish loosely with foil and bake for approx 15-20 mins until all cheese has melted and chicken is cooked. You can place under the grill for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese more if you prefer.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander.
All rights and material belong to owners slimmingeats.com