Boston Cream Cheesecake
Boston Cream Cheesecake is WICKED good
- FOR THE CAKE LAYER
- 1 box vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- FOR THE CHEESECAKE LAYER
- 3 (8-oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ c. sour cream
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- FOR PUDDING LAYER
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding
- 1½ c. whole milk
- FOR GANACHE
- 2 c. chocolate chips
- 1 c. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9” springform pan with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package instructions and pour about half of the batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. Let cake cool for 10 minutes.
- Make cheesecake mixture: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until combined. Add eggs and beat until combined, then stir in sour cream and vanilla.
- Pour cream cheese batter onto cooled cake and bake until cheesecake is slightly jiggly in the center, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. (Cheesecakes tend to crack if you don't use a water bath. If you don't want to use one, bake as directed. If you do want to use a water bath, double wrap the outside of the pan in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish. Place on oven rack and pour in enough boiling water to reach halfway up the pan. Bake as directed.) Turn off oven heat, prop open oven door, and let cheesecake cool in oven, 1 hour. Remove foil and refrigerate cheesecake until completely chilled, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- If not using a water bath: Remove pan from oven and run a knife around the inside of the pan to release the cheesecake. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack, then refrigerate until totally chilled, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Make pudding: In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and milk. Whisk until thickened, about 3 minutes. Set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- Make ganache: Place chocolate chips in a medium, heatproof bowl and set aside. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. When bubbles begin to break the surface around the edges of the pan, turn off the heat. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit 5 minutes before whisking until smooth.
- Spread pudding on top of cheesecake in an even layer. Top with ganache. Place in the refrigerator to set, 30 minutes to an hour.